Training of Mediation
This training is intended for the alternative dispute resolution by using third parties as a mediator to reach win-win solution. The mediation process needs
a long process to interpret the win-win solution, but it still can be reached by mediator who is expert at communicating with the disputing parties. The mediation
is a specific resolution concentrated on concept and practice containing of the stages, mediation, mediation practice, simulation, and contract designing.
Thus, after attending the training, the participants are expected to be able to understand and have a basic skill as mediator for dispute resolution.
Method and Process
- Definition and Mediation Stages
- Mediation Practice
- Mediation Simulation
- Contract Designing.
The method is using participatory method, in which participants can participate actively in learning during the training. The training activities will be led
by facilitator including: short speech, group discussion, film screening, and practice (case study). There are 33 material given, where participants must attend
the training minimum of 70% attendance. All participants also have obligation to do the training tasks after the delivery of material. Besides, the participants
are expected to organize themselves in group to cooperate in doing the tasks.
This session will explain the general description of implementation, overall process flow, learning materials, goals and expectation achieved, as well as learning
contract to maintain the sustainability of learning process. Substantively, the mediation training method is based on ‘cooperative learning’ (David and Roger
Johnson 2001, Gillies 2007, Kagan 1994; Slavin 2003) concerning on five elements of learning, specifically: Positive Interdependence, face to face interaction,
individual and group openness, individual and group skill, as well as group processing.
Follow up plan
This activity is conducted to formulate the planning regarding the post-taining follow up, either individual or group. The planning and agenda of activity
is the activity planning that has impact on respect, protection and enforcement of human rights.
This activity is aimed to obtain response from the participants for overall training process, either learning method, materials and teaching materials, learning time, resources, and facilitator as well as training organizing. Evaluation to be assessed through reporting and observation.
Training of Negotiation
It is aimed to:
- Improve people capacity in understanding the negotiating process, principle, and techniques; and
- Prepare the participants as the negotiators for civil society in land dispute resolution.
There are many attempts for people to recover and maintain the management area. From the "soft" to “extreme” methods, such as wrote to the government, mediation,
rally, reclaining, and through local or other indigenous mechanisms. Apart from the chosen methods, the most important is the process of conflict settlemet
that must be completely undertood by community. In conflict settlement, “negotiation” becomes an option that should be taken as long as the position of parties
is equal. Thus, in order to streamline the negotiation process and result, the community should have a good negotiating skill.
In order to take the negotiation option as a way to settle the community’s land conflict, a process of mutual learning amongst community is needed through
Training of Negotiation for Community Negotiator. The participants that will be involved is a representation of the various groups/community who are struggling
to maintain or seize the management area from the threat of industrial tree, palm oil plantation and mining.
The objectives of the Training of Negotiation for Community Negotiator are:
The important results expected from the negotiation training are:
- Improve people capacity in understanding the negotiating process, principle, and techniques.
- Prepare the participants as the community negotiator in land dispute resolution.
- People knowledge and capacity improved especially about the negotiating process, principle, and techniques with several parties; and
- The participants skill as Community Negotiator in land dispute resolution is developed.
- Some commitments and deals are made to be negotiating with the competent parties who are in the attempt of maintaining or seizing the management area.
The training is implemented by using participatory learning method for adult. The methods include dialogue, understanding and experience sharing, assignment, group discussion, simulation/practice. Each participant is expected to contribute ideas, thought, criticism, and reflection of their experiences. The input obtained from participants is the integral part of all training process.
In this training, the facilitator will guide the training process, where the resource person will deliver some materials/subjects abour negotiation, namely:
Training of Community Organizing
- Definition and source and trigger of conflict as well as the resolution mechanism;
- Natural resources management and ownership conflicts;
- Definition, Basic Principle and Negotiation Process;
- Basic technique and negotiation tips for people in land dispute resolution.
The training is subject for participant who familiar with community capacity building and what to develop further their capacity to organize communities at grassroots level. The training encompasses subject on:
Training of Community Participatory Mapping
- Organizing and development for progressive social change;
- Models for implementing progressive social change : commonalities, differences, and reconciliations ;
- Empowering individuals and building community to create capacity for change;
- Empowering through building progressive organizations.
- Tools for Community Organizing
- Tools for strengthening social mobilization campaigns : lawyers and litigation publicity and the mass media;
- Social action: magnifying power through coalitions;
- Skills for accomplishing economic and social production work.
Community participatory mapping essentially is a method or approach to do mapping activity on an object in one area with the optimal and maximum involvement of all relative parties, which are the community in the area.
Community participatory mapping or usually called as participatory mapping basically is mental effort. Analysed from its origin, the participatory mapping is a component to impelement Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA), which is aimed to facilitate the community in doing "spatial inventory" independently of resources or natural or cultication objects within and around their residence.
- Land conflict data base
- GIS advance level for NGOs
- Remote sensing for beginners